Thursday, February 24

368

0 for 0 shooting, 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 turnovers, 1 personal foul. That's it. In about 8 or so minutes. They won 60 - 45.

Considering that I haven't played since November, I'm OK with this. But I need more than that next week. I didn't take any shots because Ryan was right. There are some ball hogs on the team. I did run the point when I was in for the first half. The other team threw a zone at me, and I need to work more on breaking it down. It would help if some of my teammates would make some cuts or something.

Overall, I think I made an impression on the team captain. He asked me if I was going to play again next week, and I told him I would. I'll need more minutes, I'll need a couple of shots, and I'll need for us to play a man to man defense. I'm no good in a zone.

Defensively I held my own though. The other team's point didn't get a shot on me, and I broke down one of their fastbreaks. On the other hand, I wasn't so fortunate on another fastbreak. I ended up fouling the guy and he still got the roll, which seriously pissed me off.

The other team was well organized. They had matching outfits on and they were all 6'4 or taller. I'm clearly not 6'. Doesn't matter. I was the fastest guy on the court.

It was fun. For the most part. I'll probably end up dwelling on it for the next couple of days, but oh well. I'll become a better player for it.

And back to the Mavs - Kings game...

2 comments:

dontcare@delete.com said...

It's time I teach you the next level: Basketball 102.

I. Beating the Zone.
A. 2-3
1. High-post
a. passing from the high post with baseline and backdoor cuts it critical. The high-post forces the middle man in the zone to play up and the wings to play out - meaning more room in the lane for a cut. This is the reason zones are more effective in college: the pros have too many good post passers and players that understand the cuts.
2. From the wing
a. Swing passes around the parameter with off-ball screening by the post guys (meaning Xs, and 4 screening 5 and visa versa)creates man opportunities in the 12 foot range. Also this opens up a pass from the wing to the middle and then to the other wing for an open J.

If you want to know more about beating the Box-and-1, a 2-1-2, or a 1-3-1, just let me know.

Also, you should not force the team to change for you. Your play should encourage them to change. As for not wanting to play zone ... get over it.

I really should coach one day. ;)

FBombAndy said...

Firstly...

Even if I know how to beat the zone, I still need my teammates to know their role. If I see a hard cut with a passing lane, I'm the first to thread the needle. We did have the perimeter swing passes going, it's just that the last person to get the ball (who was also wide open) was hesitant to take the shot. If I would have been the last, I would have taken it.

They played mostly 2 - 3, at one point the switched to the box and 1.

I'm not going to force the team to do anything. The team captain is in charge of who does what. I just need less people standing at the 3 line. Seriously, only Ryan was posting up.

Captain said zone, so I played zone. I'm just saying I'm not as effective in a zone defense. I wasn't sitting on the sideline and pouting.

I only knew 3 people on the team. Now that I know how each person plays, I'll handle the point much better next time.