Thursday, August 18

556

Well, my last day with an excuse to not buy alcohol is here. In less than 24 hours, nothing will be between myself and a bottle of Paulaner.

As I look back on the past 20 years and 364 days, I realize that up until now, every day has been the exact same. Wake up, do some stuff, eat some food, go to sleep. I've wasted so much time doing nothing, or meaningless activities. I've met people that I don't even speak to anymore. People from high school or my first 2 years here at UT. I've learned things that I will forget over the next year. I have not accomplished enough yet.

While most people look forward to being 21, I do not. The prospect of buying alcohol whenever one feels like might be exciting for most, but not for me. I could care less right now about buying a 40 or a bottle of Malibu Rum.

I wish I could skip 21, 22, 23, and 24. I want to be 25. I want to have my degree and a job. I want my own place and my own car. A Computer Science degree. Some software company. A nice apartment like this one. I don't know what type of car I want. I'm the type of person who would choose a nice apartment and a decent car over a decent apartment and a nice car.

I imagine walking downtown on a cold night with a nice black leather jacket (3/4 length) and stopping inside a bar for a quick drink. Then walking up to my apartment and unlocking the door. Next, I would sit on my couch and turn on some ESPN. There, I would pull out a laptop and do all of my usual online stuff. You know, post on the blog, check the email, check the news, and get on some sort of IM. Unless I'm married by that age. Then it'll be more like walk home, unlock the door, find my wife wearing some nice lingerie, and so on.

But I can't do all of that at 21. Not right now at least. My degree is going to take another year at the least. I'll have to pay back college loans before I can get a fancy apartment in a great location. Things aren't in place yet.

Unless I find a cute, rich chic, I'll have to wait a few years. So what do I care about being 21? I'd much rather be 25.

No comments: