Monday, May 3

Obsession for her...

When is the line crossed regarding "obsessions" and such?

There is that slight fantasy of having a 'secret admirer.' Don't know if females get it, but I do know that most guys would like it. I know I would like it. Little love letters in the mailbox and what-not. But, what if you get these letters once a day? Twice a day? With pictures of you enclosed?

Well, that last one is a bit far-fetched, but you get my drift. When does that fantasy turn into a nightmare?

I don't know exactly what I would consider to be the final straw for such a situation. Then again, each situation is different. You might desire to be just like a friend you have, and you might take simple steps to achieve that goal. Dying your hair, wearing certain clothes, using new slang. Many people do that with their idols and role models. But are these fans immediately called obsessive?

I, for one, do not want to be like anyone else. I am happy being unique. I don't want to become part of a crowd. I hate crowds. But I do find myself using other people's catchphrases and such. I do find myself wanting to wear clothes I wouldn't consider otherwise. I find myself listening to music I would never even give full attention to.

I do believe that some people mistake obsession for love. That can be quite scary. "I was thinking about you all day" gives me the creeps. I find it flattering at first, but, being the over-analytical person I am, I become worried about that situation. Guy coming home from work, he wants to hear that. It's for the married. Not for the couples.

Love notes, cards, scents, once or twice a week, that's fine. Not a collage of pictures. Not every hour.

(No, no one is obsessed with me. At least not that I know of.)

No comments: